regulating Viennese actions

Greg Livingston pianotuner440@hotmail.com
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 05:47:26 +0000

Dear Friends,

My church has a Baumbach grand that was donated (and now I know why.)  I've
been tuning it and what a challenge it has been!  It has a Viennese action
(hammer moves up and away from you; damper lever is attached to the key).
As you play, you can feel the dampers drop (our organist calls it her
Tracker action.)

The tone is very poor since the dampers sit low on the strings, and the
slightest adjustment involves bending a wire on each key.  The dampers are
mounted in a large frame that sits across all 88 strings, and lifts for
service.

If you have experience regulating these grands, I'd appreciate some
information (and so would our congregation!).

Thanks,
Greg Livingston (new PTG associate member)
Boston chapter

Always remember September 11, 2001