Grey Market Pianos/Dealers

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 08:43:05 -0500

The question I have, and it may not be a very bright one..but:

Why does Yamaha continue to make products specifically designed for certain
climates? While we can all appreciate the R&D and the production that goes
on for such an undertaking, why do they continue to manufacture 'climate
specific' when the company is fully aware that it can not control where that
piano may end up?

The intention is certainly commendable, and well-respected..but when a
'stray' ends up in a place where it shouldn't be, all bets are off.

hmmm.

Is there any other piano manufacturer out there making climate specific
product?

Where I live in Florida, this climate could support one of their climate
specific products..but..since I live in the US, that particular product is
not designed for the US market making it a grey market product.

hmmm.

I realize that these 'strays' make up a very small percentage of the
company's overall product, but at the same time, the customer, sometimes
very unaware, is given an unnecessary burder to bear because of 'company
policy'.

Wouldn't it be easier to control the transportation of product to insure
that a climate specific piano remains where it belongs instead of the
end-user finding out the hard way?

I hope this doesn't sound like Yamaha bashing, because it is quite the
contrary. I enjoy working with their product, but I have been forced to take
a second look from now on because of 'company policy'.

My job involves the end-user, not company policy.

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com