Gray Market Pianos/the tally

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:22:22 -0500

And what is the role of a specified environement for the piano? I can't imagine any piano being in its prime in 7% RH AND at 80% RH. It just ain't gonna happen. Museums that house rare antique objects (Old Glory, various paintings, etc.) know the role of proper RH. I'm just gettin' to the point of "if you want a high end piano, you need to provide a high end environment!

Terry  Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin E. Ramsey" <kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net>
To: <dave@davispiano.com>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: Gray Market Pianos/the tally

>From Phoenix,

    OK, I've only seen a hand full of these, as I'm affiliated with the real Yamaha dealer here, but, occasionally I get called to help with a Yamaha that was purchased in the area, but not from us. Typical complaints here are;
    1)  Tuning pins not holding. Can't be tuned, or if it can, you don't want to.
    2)   Every single screw on the piano needing to be tightened, (Big Deal, you only have to do it once.)
    3)   The occasional bridge separation from parts of the soundboard.
    4)    Loose bridge pins, cracked bridge.
    5)    Loose flange pinning.
    6)    Overall sloppy action parts.

    These are some of the things you can expect to see when you get one of these gray-market pianos into an environment with 7% to  25% R.H.  Funny that I haven't seen any with any big cracks in the soundboard, yet. That's the first thing I would expect to see.

    Hope this helps. Kevin