Humble request: What to swab loose pin holes with?

Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:47:41 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 02, 2003 10:10 AM
Subject: Humble request: What to swab loose pin holes with?

> I have a relative "newbie" tech friend who has gotten
> himself in a bit of a corner: Blasius upright, had
> loose pins of various sizes.  Plate is out and he
> needs to stay in customer's  pre-arranged budget on
> this piano. Is looking for most economical, likely fix
> for pins. (No block replacement or plugging.)
> Is thinking of swabbing with epoxy, reppinning with
> biggest "Lo-Torque"

Don't you use Epotek products? Check with them--I think they have a paper on
this. I've not tried it with Epotek but I have successfully swabbed a few
holes with MAS epoxy (it doesn't exude the common waxy substance as it
cures) from time to time. Let it cure and drive the same-size pin (or the
same pin) back in. Seems to work quite well. Brought the torque right back
up and even had reasonably good pin feel. Try a sample or three before
committing to the whole block.

Del