what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:35:15 +0100

Ron Koval wrote:

> ricB wrote:
> And dont get me wrong.... I am pretty much on this wagon myself..... its
> just that my results so far simply do not bear out your own. I have had a
> few exceptions...
> like the Broadwoods best # 5 quasi ET.... but then that didnt even qualifie
> as a Well temperament.
>
> <end>
>
> I can't help but wonder if you went too strong.  Have you had a chance to
> try ones with smaller offsets?  Even the Broadwood's best (that Ed uses)is
> pretty heavy duty for a first step!

COME ON NOW !!!.... I asked and got told about the Young / Valoti....  and thats
like wayyyy more extreme then this Broadwoods best # 5. That particular BB was
actually a good pass for an ET. The responses I got to it immediately made me
think more about Baldwins experiments with the slightly out of tune unisions
more then anything else. And that because of the very different kinds of

> I started this thread not so much as a re-opening of the HT-ET discussion,
> but the recommendation for those willing techs to try out modern well
> temperaments created from scratch to try and maximize some of the strong
> points of the historical temperaments.  There's enough variation in the
> historical record to suggest that many different temperaments were in common
> use, sharing similar attributes.  I was hoping to give some reasons to try
> something new......
>
> Ron Koval
> Chicagoland

Hmmm... well maybe what we all should do is discuss some protocol for checking
folks responses that clearly eliminates any chance of influence from us, and
rules out any other chance of influencing the objectivity of pianists. And
something that can tell us more then that pianists apparently like something
other then a clinically perfect ET..... and I am not saying that  we have even
established that much when it comes down to it.

Still.. this boat is sailing some rather enjoyable seas... so I see no reason to
hop off yet.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne