what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 16:46:41 +0000

ricB wrote:
Hmmm... well maybe what we all should do is discuss some protocol for
checking folks responses that clearly eliminates any chance of influence
from us, and rules out any other chance of influencing the objectivity of
pianists. And something that can tell us more then that pianists apparently
like something other then a clinically perfect ET..... and I am not saying
that  we have even established that much when it comes down to it.
<end>

Well.... I think Ed has something like that going already with his "dueling
pianos" set-up in his room.  But otherwise, maybe in side-by-side practice
rooms with matching instruments?  Post something like:

Students / Staff

We are evaluating these two instruments.  Please participate in this
evaluation.  Play both of these instruments, list any differences you can
feel and/or hear, (touch, tone, musicality, dynamic range) and place your
very much for your input.

What do you think?  You willing to give it a try?  We can settle on a
temperament, or just wing it yourself! (stick with a mild one, please)

Ron Koval