what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 21:28:04 +0100

Ron Koval wrote:

> Well.... I think Ed has something like that going already with his "dueling
> pianos" set-up in his room.  But otherwise, maybe in side-by-side practice
> rooms with matching instruments?

I have a feeling that Ed's enthusiasm would tend to colour the results abit...
tho I would be glad for the chance to evaluate his testing in person.

What is needed is as absolute fool proof blind testing as possible. And thats
not quite as easy as it might seem, whatever we do we will need to rely on a
substantial amount of samples, from a number of independant technicians running
the test. That way its easier to identify things that stick out.... one way or
the other.

> Post something like: Students / Staff
> We are evaluating these two instruments.  Please participate in this
> evaluation.  Play both of these instruments, list any differences you can
> feel and/or hear, (touch, tone, musicality, dynamic range) and place your
> very much for your input.
>
> What do you think?  You willing to give it a try?  We can settle on a
> temperament, or just wing it yourself! (stick with a mild one, please)
>
> Ron Koval

I think I have been using mild temperments. I havent used anything at all more
extreme then the Y/V, and have tried out several quasis, without really reading
up much about them. And I post what I hear when it seems interesting.

No.... I think we should decide on one temperement to look at, and decide on
another as a comparitive. Repeat the process several times and keep good
records. Painfully working towards keeping as much pure objectivity in the
process as possible. Even in the face of emerging results that arent what any
of us personally would want to see.

As a few of these run by, we probably would be able to refine the whole thing
by looking at specific types of temperment / tonal contrasts.

For the moment I am restricted to using RCT for such work. Tho I have managed
to get the EBVT done a few times by ear.

Sure.. I'm in. Sounds like fun.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.