Pinblock Installation

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:52:44 -0600

Hi Ron,

You wrote:
>Question: Do you think it's really necessary to dowel the block to the
>stretcher? Is the joint under severe enough stress that glue alone wouldn't
>suffice? I don't dowel these joints because it seems like overkill to me
>for the trouble it takes to do it. <snip>

Thank you!!!

I've wondered about this practice for some time, although I normally put
dowels back and glue it in just to say I did it.  (And I've only had to
touch up the front of the stretcher once because I drilled through it.
Aarrgghh!!  That's one of the things you only do ONCE!) I've never seen a
stretcher that was as sturdy as one of the beams underneath anyway so that
item adding structural integrity has always been suspect in my mind.  Yes, I
do glue, dowel, and usually screw the new pinblock to the inner rim
regardless of what came out.  Once it's in, it ain't movin'!!

Thanks for the thoughts, Ron.

Brian T.