System Three Varnish

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:54:58 EST

In a message dated 28/02/03 10:36:17 PM, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

<<""It is this 'hardness' which requires that re-varnishing of bright work on

> boats is needful every few years or so........."">>

"Don't think so. Paint two identical boards with same varnish. Put one in sun
for a year. Keep other in shade for 30 years. One year in sun will show
deterioration. 30 years in shade will likely look like new. "

 Well I can't afford to keep my boat in the shade and it is the expansion and
contraction of the underlying woods that cause the varnish to crack, allow
moisture to seep under the coat and stain the wood....of course if I wanted
to keep my boat in the shade all the time I wold probably call it a Dresser
or Bureau or some such. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)