What to charge a cruise ship

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:14:05 -0700

I've never worked on a cruise ship, but I've had clients offer to fly me
places to service their pianos.  It would seem to me that you would
charge possibly your normal rate, but think about the time you're going
to be charging them for.  I guess I'm saying that you'll probably charge
them more in the end, based on the time you'll be spending on them.  The
fact that it's a cruise is a perk, not a viable reason to charge less.
I would try to calculate what work you won't be able to do while you're
away, and make sure you're recouping your costs.

Be careful not to charge too low, with the justification that they're
giving you a cruise out of it.  They're not, they're hiring you to do
work in their place of business (but lucky for you it's a cruise ship!)
:)

I'm sure though, that someone might have better advice, as I've never
embarked on a journey such as this before.

Jonathan Finger, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ephemerum@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 2:51 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: What to charge a cruise ship

I service a ship with seven pianos one afternoon a week.  They want me
to go
along for a cruise so I can rebush all the keys, along with some other
repairs that take more than an afternoon's time.  I'll get on in my port
of
Key West, and either disembark in their home port in Texas (in which
case
they fly us home), or stay on the ship until it's back in KW.

I know I can bring my husband along at no charge, but I don't know what
the
industry standard rate is for this kind of work.  Do I charge my normal
rate
or more?

Anyone know the drill?

Karin Schmitt-Read