what's with the new temperaments?(x post)

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:14:32 +0000

sorry for the individual replies....

from ric M again:

I can tune a piano in Pythagorean and play something that I bet
you can't hear the difference.

<snip>

Well, while it is possible to set a tuning on a piano, and then find
something to play that won't give it away, I can assure you that with even a
mild temperament, I'll hear the difference if you just play Mary Had a
Little Lamb in C,(triad in left, and melody in right) and especially if you
then play it in C#, it's a tough one to miss.  Can you hear 7 bps for the
F-A third?  It's kindof locked in memory, isn't it?  So if you walked up to
a piano and it was only 4-5 bps, would you notice the difference?

There are two places in the scale that display this "crunch" between slow
and fast beats .  B-C-C# triads represent rough-smooth-rough in a well
temperament, while F-F#-G triads represent smooth-rough-smooth.

Ron Koval