Actual piano question: Pin strength and chipboard Yamahas

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:13:25 -0600

>Not that simple, you need the right balance between, tensile strength and
>rigidity.   Now the trick is to get two engineers to agree.  Once the pin
>gets in the field, we tech's bitch that there is too much flex.
>Oh well, back to the drawing board.
>Roger

It's not the pins that are the problem anyway. They're just putting them in
too bloody tight. We used to have the same problems with new Kimballs for
the same reason.

Every year for the last five years or so, the Yamaha pinning seems to get
tighter. Why are they doing this? The Thomaston products are now very
difficult to tune, and I battled a new U3 last week that was virtually
untunable for this reason.

Ron N