Epoxy Man Strikes Again

Fri, 7 Mar 2003 22:27:20 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 07, 2003 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: Epoxy Man Strikes Again

> >Ron. What is your screwing pattern? (Bridge-gluing-wise!) Do you run one
> >through ever rib into the bridge and one between each set of ribs and
> >that's it? After dry, remove screws from rib/bridge and dowel. Leave
> >screws and buttons between ribs? And that's all there is to it? Thanks.
> >
> >Terry Farrell
>

> Nothing through any of the ribs, just one screw with a button half way
> between adjacent ribs. Screws and buttons stay, no dowels. I build ribs to
> support the soundboard. Why would I want to go drilling holes in them?
>
> Ron N

Ditto. I also occasionally use a clamp at the extreme treble end and a large
hand-screw to reach in at the bass end. No holes through the ribs. Ever.

Incidentally, this was not a problem with compression-crowned soundboards.
Since the ribs did not support crown--they resisted it--the holes were of
little consequence. If anything they would allow the rib to bend a little
more easily. Hence, the hole and dowel or the hole and screw did not
"weaken" the rib in the sense that it (they) would not affect the rib's
load-carrying capacity.. It would with a rib-crowned soundboard, however.

Del