lost motion compensator revisited

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 04:25:28 -0700

to Clyde Hollinger:  That tip I gave about what worked on my W,N,& G =
action may not  work on some.  I seem to recall a customer's action =
where the lost motion compensator rod was not connected to the hammer =
rail by that little vertical rod.  Instead, things were more permanently =
mounted and the only way to get a wippen out was to remove the l.m. =
comp. rod altogether.
  This could be done only by a.) bending one of the hooks, similar to =
removing a hammer rail or, b.) removing an action bracket.  Neither =
option was really suitable.  The hooks were like those of a =
damper-lifter rod, i.e., three facing one way and one facing the other.  =
But they were quite a bit thicker than damper rod hooks and extremely =
difficult to bend, and I was afraid one might snap off.   With damper =
rods, you can unscrew the little mounting hanger, but the bushings for =
the l.m.comp. rod were in the action brackets on this particular action. =
 So I thought of taking off an end action bracket, but then the action =
wouldn't stand up by itself (I was in the home, not in my shop with an =
action cradle).
    I forget what the outcome was--I think I reglued the jack flange or =
whatever I had to do, with the wippen still in place.  I do remember =
puzzling a long time over it and wondering how they expected anybody to =
get a wippen out without dismantling the whole action.  So there's still =
some question about how to deal with these, or there's a trick I'm not =
aware of. --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver