Americus Vespucci [OT] [Amerigo}

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:30:05 -0700

Sorry it's been silent. I have a life.

I mentioned that we should get back to pianos, but as nobody wants to
(they must want more OT posts to complain about), I'll oblige.

Since people seem too lazy to go and look for the information
themselves, here's a bit of it found at:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~ejg1/ed/strad1.html

            "Vespucci's own "prurient gaze" (Mason 171) provided a basis
for the imperial/sexual politics of Stradanus's America. His letters
from the New World highlighted the "inordinate" lust of Native women who
used the bites of poisonous animals to thicken their "husbands' members"
and were "very desirous to copulate with us Christians," as well as the
treachery of cannibal women
<http://www.lehigh.edu/~ejg1/ed/vespuccan.html>  who clubbed and roasted
a sailor "before our eyes" (Vespucci 49, 64, 88)."

There is clearly more here than mention of nekkidness.  And plenty of
more references if you're so inclined.  Of course, as I wasn't there
when Vespucci wrote these alleged letters, I can't validate their
authenticity.  I merely wanted to see if what Gordon said had any clout,
and it seems it does.  I really see no need to research the matter any
more, as I don't particularly care.  I live in the US, and am plenty
aware of the cannibal women that threaten us all.  :-)

I think it's interesting that in people's haste to start a fight, they
forgot to look for the facts they're so quick to accuse poor Gordon of
not having.

Yes Yes. Gordon has had some doozies in his days, but unfortunately
guys, this isn't one of them.  Now I might contest that this was the
reason for his name being given to the country, or some of the other
finer details in the original post.  I might also argue if he were to
say that because of this naked behavior, wild dogs were eating babies
amidst a hurricane.  But the point that everyone seems to be contesting;
whether or not Vespucci talked about sex (why are we so concerned about
this again?) seems to be mostly true.

Again, sorry for the silence Kevin, but I had a few things to do today.

Hope this helps

Jonathan Finger RPT