Americus Vespucci [OT] [Amerigo}

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:37:22 +0100

Well, as said one of our great philosophs, "not because one have nothing to
say that one may shut his mouth".

And so on ....

Taking act.
Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE
tel : 033 01 47 18 06 98
fax : 033 01 47 18 06 90
cell: 06 60 42 58 77

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Jonathan Finger
  Envoye : dimanche 16 mars 2003 11:30
  A : 'Kevin E. Ramsey'; 'Pianotech'
  Objet : RE: Americus Vespucci [OT] [Amerigo}

  Sorry it's been silent. I have a life.

  I mentioned that we should get back to pianos, but as nobody wants to
(they must want more OT posts to complain about), I'll oblige.

  Since people seem too lazy to go and look for the information themselves,
here's a bit of it found at: http://www.lehigh.edu/~ejg1/ed/strad1.html

              "Vespucci's own "prurient gaze" (Mason 171) provided a basis
for the imperial/sexual politics of Stradanus's America. His letters from
the New World highlighted the "inordinate" lust of Native women who used the
bites of poisonous animals to thicken their "husbands' members" and were
"very desirous to copulate with us Christians," as well as the treachery of
cannibal women who clubbed and roasted a sailor "before our eyes" (Vespucci
49, 64, 88)."

  There is clearly more here than mention of nekkidness.  And plenty of more
references if you're so inclined.  Of course, as I wasn't there when
Vespucci wrote these alleged letters, I can't validate their authenticity.
I merely wanted to see if what Gordon said had any clout, and it seems it
does.  I really see no need to research the matter any more, as I don't
particularly care.  I live in the US, and am plenty aware of the cannibal
women that threaten us all.  J

  I think it's interesting that in people's haste to start a fight, they
forgot to look for the facts they're so quick to accuse poor Gordon of not
having.

  Yes Yes. Gordon has had some doozies in his days, but unfortunately guys,
this isn't one of them.  Now I might contest that this was the reason for
his name being given to the country, or some of the other finer details in
the original post.  I might also argue if he were to say that because of
this naked behavior, wild dogs were eating babies amidst a hurricane.  But
the point that everyone seems to be contesting; whether or not Vespucci
talked about sex (why are we so concerned about this again?) seems to be
mostly true.

  Again, sorry for the silence Kevin, but I had a few things to do today.

  Hope this helps

  Jonathan Finger RPT