Tuning question (was Pianotech list)

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:39:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi Gang,

Okay, I have legitimate piano related questions to
whet the Pianotech appetite.  (For those who are still
here).

I've been tuning with RCT for less than a year and am
now seriously studying the art of aural tuning.  In
reading the PTG Tuning Exam Source Book, I've found a
couple of nagging questions.

#1.  In making "2 passes" to tune the piano, do most
people include tuning the unisons in each pass, or
just the temperament and octaves, then the unisons in
the second pass?  (pretending the piano is within 4
cents of A-440)

#2.  I'm overwhelmed with all the different tests
involved in checking the treble and bass.  What are
the most effective tests used by the masses in every
day tuning?

I'm planning to take the RPT Tuning Exam later this
year and am practicing up a storm to get it down
right.  According to the RCT, I'm catching on pretty
well.

If this goes well and doesn't raise political or moral
posts, I'll have more questions in a few days.

Thanks,

Dave Davis
Renton, WA
Puget Sound Chapter