Tuning question (was Pianotech list)

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:52:45 -0800

Replies interspersed -- I'm glad you're learning aural tuning.

>#1.  In making "2 passes" to tune the piano, do most
>people include tuning the unisons in each pass, or
>just the temperament and octaves, then the unisons in
>the second pass?  (pretending the piano is within 4
>cents of A-440)

Yes, unisons included. If the existing tuning isn't
too terrible, I tend to do two passes in the tenor
and treble, and only one in the bass, with a quick
test of it afterwards. The bass moves around a lot
less than the treble if the whole piano isn't too
far out.

>#2.  I'm overwhelmed with all the different tests
>involved in checking the treble and bass.  What are
>the most effective tests used by the masses in every
>day tuning?

There are as many tests as one feels like pursuing, but
in everyday work I tend to focus on three: the tenth test
in the middle range, but only if the timbre of the octave
isn't pleasing me; the sixth test in the bass, ditto, and
I temper fourths, fifths and octaves all the way to the
top and most of the way to the bottom. Octaves the straightest,
then a little curl to the fifths and a little bit bigger curl
to the fourths, but basically making all of the perfect
intervals (4, 5, 8) as clear as possible.

>I'm planning to take the RPT Tuning Exam later this
>year and am practicing up a storm to get it down
>right.  According to the RCT, I'm catching on pretty
>well.
>
>If this goes well and doesn't raise political or moral
>posts, I'll have more questions in a few days.

Good luck to you, Dave. Keep working on the unisons and
the stability. It will repay your effort very handsomely.

Susan Kline

P.S. We can help the digest and archive people a lot if
we leave in ONLY the part of the post we are replying to,
instead of trailing four or five replies behind us.