HT wine-tasting (was HT tests)

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:03:46 -0600

Greetings Bob,
                            A simple solution for the test piano for
recording. Use a C7 Yamaha Diskavier.
Have a credible player, play the selections and record with the Diskavier.
Play back, and record the piano,and player, with a conventional CD.  Re
tune the piano in the desired HT Repeat the conventional recording.

Now you have removed, variances in player, piano, and the change in playing
style that the HT may create.

Bin thar done dat.   The Vollati/Young won hands down with a small
selection of Beethoven. Used a C3 Discklavier.Listening sample was only 6
people. So no conclusions. Just gut feel.
As a post note. No one could pick ET with certainty,  but comments like,
the HT was more emotional, was stated by all.  3 listeners thought the HT
was ET. Listeners were advanced student's and 2 Profs.  Player a
performance Prof.   Recording was hardly High quality.

Would love to redo the test with a larger sample and will full recording
studio quality.

Regards Roger