tough work

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:48:52 EST

Hi,
   Today I had to tune an older console Chickering,and over pulled it 4
cents,as it was below standard pitch.I satrted pitching it from AO,with my
accutuner,tuned a couple of notes,and bamm,a broken string.A few more
notes,another broken string,and another.I let the pitch down first,even used
a lubricate around the hitch pins,and on the coils.I have never felt a string
respond in this manner,as,I would let the pitch down,and it would go down
smooth.But as soon as I tried to bring it back up,it wouldn't budge,and if it
did,bamm.Even a half step low,it still would not come back smoothly,also this
was in the low bass only.Has anyone ever run across anything like this.I have
been tuning since the seventies,and have never had this kind of problem.The
strings were dead sounding,and he decided to restring the bass,thank
goodness,as I was about stumped.When I went to take off the bottom string,it
broke at the coil.
Thanks,
Hazen Bannister