tough work

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:07:43 EST

In a message dated 3/20/03 5:50:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
HazenBannister@cs.com writes:

>    Today I had to tune an older console Chickering,and over pulled it 4
> cents,as it was below standard pitch.I satrted pitching it from AO,with my
> accutuner,tuned a couple of notes,and bamm,a broken string.A few more
> notes,another broken string,and another.I let the pitch down first,even
> used a lubricate around the hitch pins,and on the coils.I have never felt a
> string respond in this manner,as,I would let the pitch down,and it would go
> down smooth.But as soon as I tried to bring it back up,it wouldn't
> budge,and if it did,bamm.Even a half step low,it still would not come back
> smoothly,also this was in the low bass only.Has anyone ever run across
> anything like this.I have been tuning since the seventies,and have never
> had this kind of problem.The strings were dead sounding,and he decided to
> restring the bass,thank goodness,as I was about stumped.When I went to take
> off the bottom string,it broke at the coil.
> Thanks,
> Hazen Bannister

Hazen,

I had a similar problem with a Chickering quarter grand, only the cause was
evident.  The majority of the strings were rusted.  Unfortunately, the owners
couldn't afford a restringing.  They called me back to replace the broken
ones, which I did, but I have a feeling they'll call me again, and soon.

It's a helpless feeling when you hear that twang, isn't it?

Dave