Hide Glue Types

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:45:41 -0800

Terry, et al,
The Schaff Glue, ( I suspect), is a middle of the road Hide glue, suitable
for general gluing of parts. It will have a tendency to get quite brittle
with age. The "3X Chrome" is the highest grade, I've been able to find. It
dissolves very quickly. It has a stingy consistency when ready to use. It
sets up very hard. It will get brittle quite quickly, so it is not suitable
for parts that take impact, such as hammers. "Jose's Mix" is an upper medium
grade glue that has "sheet glue" added to it, in the ratio of 20%. "Sheet
Glue" has a lot of fat solids in it, which tends to make it most suitable
for Hammers, etc., as it will not get as brittle as the others. "Sheet Glue"
down-side: It takes forever, (approx. 48 hours), to be workable, once heat
is applied, etc., and needs to soak for at least 24 hours = 72 hours from
start to ready to use!
That's the short version.
Oh, BTW: No, there were no photos of the Fish Glue piano disintegrating.
That was back in the late 70's.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)