tough work

Paul E. Dempsey dempsey@marshall.edu
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:55:54 -0500 (EST)

Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

It's heartening to see this thread re string breakage. I seldom have a
string break on me. I don't know why this is, but there you go.

Oh, have to replace lots of strings in pianos I see, usually they are
strings that broke previously and the other guy didn't bother to
replace them or they just broke and thats the way I found them. But, I
seldom have one let go while I am working on the piano.

When they DO though, they generaly come in three's. Weird ain't it:-)
I'm happy to report that the latest #3 happened yesterday on a little
Kimball Whitney that I was doing an 85 cent pitch raise on (first
string in the treble section..got to pull the action:-(. Last week #2
was a single bass string on a Yamaha P202, and about two weeks ago #1
happened on a Steinway 1098. A bass string....which I replaced both
strings in the unison.

If history means anything I should be able to put away the strings
tools for a while. Jeez!

>I had a similar problem with a Chickering quarter grand, only the cause
was
>evident.  The majority of the strings were rusted.  Unfortunately, the
owners
>couldn't afford a restringing.  They called me back to replace the
broken
>ones, which I did, but I have a feeling they'll call me again, and soon.
>
>It's a helpless feeling when you hear that twang, isn't it?
>
>Dave

Paul E. Dempsey RPT
Piano Technician
Department of Music