wrestling an alligator

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:55:37 EST

In a message dated 03/22/2003 2:35:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Piannaman@aol.com writes:
> Question:  would regular tuning over the previous two decades have smoothed
> out the tuning pin rotation at all?

Dave,
  I have noticed, that not only would regular tuning have helped,but also
good tuning.I have followed people's tuning,especially on pianos with no
bushings,where good pin setting was only wishful thinking.Then what happens
is you barely turn a pin,and it goes wild,where maybe one is pulled up to
pitch on the flat side,the next on the sharpe side, just dangling
there,instead of being relaxed in a stable position.I run across Steinway's
in this condition a lot,especially uprights,it will make you want to get a
job roofing houses( not really ).
Best,
Hazen Bannister