wrestling an alligator

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:04:32 EST

Terrry, David, Hazen,

Thanks for the posts.  I've tuned many Baldwins, but never one like this.
That's why I suspected that it was the lack of care that caused the
difficulties.

Terry, come to think of it, it must have been 5 ' 1"; it just looked bigger
than it was because of it's placement in a small room.  I've got to admit,
for a small grand, it sounded pretty good.  If I can convince them to get it
serviced regularly, it will end up being really nice.  Can't imagine that
I'll be able to convince them to regulate it, though.

What I found a bit ironic, is that the prevoius night I'd tuned a 50 year old
Baldwin Hamilton Studio that I had tuned back in August.  They probably
wouldn't have even called had the bridle straps not been scraping on the back
of the fall board(they had it pushed in too far, so I put some stops on it).
The piano was perfectly at pitch, and a dream to tune.  It went so fast, I
threw in a bit of capstan and let-off adjustment for a nominal fee(he's a
poor music student who appreciates his instrument).

On my way home from that job I was thinking wonderful thoughts about Baldwin
products, unaware of the alligator that awaited me the next day.

Dave

in In a message dated 3/22/03 6:30:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,