FW: Re: Longterm future of piano business

Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:28:24 -0800

 I completely disagree with this cynical and pessimistic outlook.   More
likely the market will be dominated by manufacturers that can produce
products of reasonable quality inexpensively--a continuation of the current
trend.   These manufacturers will probably continue to produce a line of
higher quality, so called "hand built" pianos which they will still be able
to deliver for considerably less money than the other "boutique"
manufacturers.  They will become more competitive in this part of the
market as the public begins to accept the quality of these particular
lines.   An electronic keyboard simply doesn't and won't compete in this
market, in my opinion.

 David Love
 davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

piano business.  Piano dealers are going under right and left.  Used pianos
are at historic lows and even then do not sell.  There will always be
tuning and rebuilding business since there are still millions of pianos out
there.  But do you feel about the long term growth of our field.

> > Lets put it this way.... dont encourage your son to become a piano tech
unless he's either into a very bohemian life style, or intends on becoming
one of the few true all around artisians in our buisness

> > I predict that within 30 years there will be only 4 or 5 manufactures
making only very expensive instruments for an increasingly nostalgic
rational and for the few music lovers left who insist on acoustic music.
Everyone else will have keyboards of some sort or another. These will just
plain become too competetive for the low end acoustic side of our