Longterm future of piano business

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:52:52 +0100

Dave Davis wrote:

> My point is, in MY opinion, there is a future in the
> piano business.  Find the need in your neighborhood
> and provide honest, quality, reliable, and friendly
> work.
>
> Even if my level of expertise isn't nearly so advanced
> as Richard or David, there still is a market for my
> work and I'm thinking there's one for each one of us.
>
> Dave Davis
> Renton, WA

Well hey Dave, we all have our opinions and experiences, and hopefully by
sharing these we all benifit. I know most techs think as you do on this
matter. But I believe there is very good reason to be think otherwise. For
example sales of pianos in Europe are at about 10 % of the level they were
25 years ago. Several major Factories are on the brink of having to close
now. As Cheaper alternatives come out with accompaning loss of general
quality, coupled with yearly advances in electronics I think we will see
that electronic pianos will in the end be more attractive then the low end
acoustics. They will be portable, never need tuning, much less expensive,
and will be percieved by many as having equal if not better performance
characteristics. We are already seeing more and more of this now. As this
tendency continues and expands, fewer and fewer manufacturers will find it
profitable enough to continue production. And as this happens the basic
knowledge and skills pool from which manufacturers draw on will become too
shallow. In the end there will be only a few folks in the buisness making
relatively expensive instruments for a rather exclusive group.

Thats how I see it, and I personally dont have any real problem with that.
Music instruments have come and gone through the centuries, and normally
when one fades out its because something new takes over. I see no real
reason why the piano should neccessarilly be immune to this fate.

As for your own level of expertise.... me thinks you underestimate
yourself, or perhaps overestimate others.

Best of luck to you, and as long as you keep learning, and are happy...
then what could be better then that... eh ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.