String Splicing pictures/Hazen

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:13:45 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 10:53 AM
Subject: String Splicing pictures/Hazen

> I finally got to see the photo/attachment on Hazen's string splice! Thanks
> to a very kind Brian Lawson, clueing me into where to access it in the
> archives![G]
> The "knot" shown, is called a Sheetbend Knot. FYI there are THREE types of
> knots that will work for string splicing: 1.Granny Knot: this is the one
> that most techs use/know about. IMHO, it is the most difficult to do. 2.
> Square Knot: Probably the easiest to do, but has the possibility for
> extemporaneous buzzes, if used in the speaking length. Also, it can slip if
> not pulled up correctly. 3. Sheetbend: a combination of the two previously
> mentioned. Medium skill is required and will not slip.
> Just a FYI thingee. Happy Monday! Hope to see some of you at the Pacific
> NorthWest Regional Conference, starting this Thursday! (BTW, During that
> time, I'll be away from the list, but not off of it, so please keep the BS
> posts to a minimum.<G>)
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> Been There, Didn't Like It, So I'm Here To Stay! [G}

    The knot most tuners usually use is not a granny.  A granny is a square knot tied "wrong".   A correct square knot, also called a reef knot, has both ends of one loop coming out the same side of the other loop, whereas in a granny, the two ends of one loop come out on different sides of the other loop.  The knot used in tying shoes is (or should be) a square knot, but with loops (or 'bights', in knot terminology) introduced so it can be readily untied.  If you use a square knot in tying shoes, the bow sits across the shoe (laterally), wheareas if you use a granny, the bow will tend to sit in line with the shoe's tongue, and your foot (longitudinally).
    The knot most tuners use (the one in Reblitz) often gets called a fisherman's knot, and it may indeed work with fishing line, but according to my L.L. Bean "Outdoor Knots Handbook", the fisherman's knot is something different.  Can't find a name for the knot used in splicing -- checked the Boy Scout Handbook, too, and didn't see it.  But it's a variation on the square knot, or a "twisted" or "reconfigured" square knot.  A square knot can be made into our splicing knot and vice versa without untying all the way.  Neither the square knot or our splicing knot is 100% secure with rope -- if pulled hard enough with some kinds of rope, they will untie.  But for some reason they work well with wire.
    Then the other knot (the one in the attachment) is a sheet bend.  Someone pointed it out in the Journal years ago.  It's very easy to tie and is essentially the same as tying a square knot.  The square knot uses two bights (U-bends); the sheet bend uses a loop and a bight.  I often use the sheet bend for old bass strings because I can make the U-bend in the existing string, and not have to make a full loop in the already stretched, brittle wire.  I make the loop in the short length of replacement wire, along with the tuning pin coils.  Works great!
    Now all I need is the "official" name of the other knot (the one most often seen in pianos).
    --David Nereson, RPT, Denver