String Splicing pictures/Hazen

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:06:18 -0600

>Can't find a name for the knot used in splicing -- checked the Boy Scout
>Handbook, too, and didn't see it.

Hold it! I got it wrong. Sorry about that. My rememberer didn't... then
did. While I hate to give the "alwaysreplacethestring" folks this kind of
ammunition, it's called a thief's knot. The idea was that it looked like a
square knot, and someone going through your kit while you were gone would
re-tie it with a standard square knot, telling you someone had been in
there without realizing they had told you.

So there it is.

Ron N