Grand damper felt alignment

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:28:01 EST

Keith (his message quoted below),

No flame suit reinforcement needed as far as I'm concerned! I mostly agree
with you. I think you are making a reasoned response to the vagaries of
individual damper sets and I was speaking in general. There are also a couple
of items of individual taste.

I suppose if the original guide rail is going back in exactly the same spot
after removal for bushing, the plate winds up in exactly the same spot after
removal for finishing, and the original dampers were beautifully spaced,
aligned, and traveled, I might also be tempted by the method you describe.
However, this combination of events is rare enough that it doesn't come up
too often for me, so I'd rather just start from scratch with felts aligned to
the heads, and adjust the side pressure, travel, and timing after felting. In
addition, many damper felts are as wide as the damper blocks, which doesn't
permit too much offset without peeking out one side or another.

I am not sorry to say that I agree with you about cosmetics. The piano is to
me a truly beautiful object, and anything which pleases the eye in addition
to the ear adds to the aesthetic experience. When I step on the pedal, I want
the dampers to lift straight out of the strings as one, without any lateral
movement of the damper blocks toward or away from each other. I don't know if
a little traveling would be discernible in the function of the dampers, but
it might, and it is prettier without. Where the agraffe spacing is uneven,
some kind of compromise must be made. Whether the heads are spaced evenly and
the felts offset, or the heads spaced directly over the strings, may depend
upon the degree of unevenness and individual taste. I guess I'm saying that
in most cases, the agraffe spacing isn't enough to bother me, if the
traveling and timing are really really good.

Bob Davis