Falsies

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:27:53 EST

In a message dated 3/29/03 4:20:57 AM !!!First Boot!!!, tune4u@earthlink.net
writes:

> All the pitch correction discussions I've seen on here in recent years has
> been in regard to doing it either with a couple of rough tunings or using
> an
> ETD and overpull, i.e., in one session.
>
> Is there any truth to the old belief that bringing pitch up in small
> stages,
> over time, helps to prevent false beats?
>
> On the surface of it, it sounds silly to me and not with any scientific
> basis. But it apparently is/was a widely held belief and still pops up. I
> spotted it on this web site:
> http://www.pianofinders.com/faqs/servicefaq.htm
>
> Whatayathink?
>
> Alan Barnard
> Salem, MO

Alan

I've not heard of that, (But then I don't hear very well). False beats are
usually caused by the string not being seated on the bridge. If you have
false beats, tap down the strings, and it should eliminate the falsies. I
don't think raising pitch in one swell foop, or in small increments, is going
to change that.

Wim