Falsies

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:29:33 -0600

>That being said, the vast amount of experience that supports the idea that
>bridge pin seating can offer some aid in cleaning up some of the general noise
>is not something I have not been able to disregard, especially since my own
>experience bears it out. What should be said tho is that any string seating
>should be done with care. You dont want to dent the bridge top in the
>process. A
>very gentle tap is all thats needed, and if that doenst help any falseness
>then
>your problem is elsewhere.
>
>RicB

The same vast amount of experience indicates the same of seating strings.
For a string at 20° angle side bearing on a bridge pin, and about 160#
tension, the frictional drag between string and pin as over 14#. Tapping
the pin is the equivalent of setting a 14# weight on the string at the very
edge of the notch and hitting it with a hammer. The only time it does
anything that direct string seating doesn't is when the pin is severely
grooved.

Ron N