Falsies

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:34:39 -0600

I know no one's posted it yet, but I expect it will be along about any
minute now, so I'll go ahead and write this up.

As I said earlier, a 20° side bearing at 160# will produce friction between
the string and pin that will take over 14# to overcome to move the string
up or down the pin. That's not taking pin tilt into account because in the
context of driving bridge pins down, the force (string hitting the bridge
cap) is parallel to the pin as the pin is driven.

That 14#+ is pounds, not PSI. Given a bridge with a generous 1" row spacing
between pins, and an existing string groove of a similarly generous 0.015"
wide contact with the string, we get a cap bearing surface for each bridge
pin of 0.5*0.015=0.0075 square inches. The load distribution is naturally
not even across that span, but concentrated much more heavily at the bridge
pin. Generously ignoring that altogether (though it is a very big factor),
we find that our PSI load of the string footprint on the bridge brought on
by driving the pin is over 14/0.0075=1866+ PSI. Rock maple's fiber stress
proportional limit of compression cross grain is listed at 1470 PSI. Even
with the unrealistic concessions I have given to the loading involved in
the above example, driving the pin still exerts a PSI load on the bridge,
by the string, which exceeds the compression limit of the maple cap. In
reality, it FAR exceeds the compression limit of the cap.

This is why I said that I can see no positive point to driving bridge pins
in new pianos. It's functionally no different in effect and damage incurred
than seating strings on bridges. The only reason I see to drive pins in
older pianos is to get a fresh pin bearing surface against the string.
Compression damage still occurs, and if the pins bottom in the holes when
they're driven in, they'll be back to just about where they were with the
next round of humidity cycles.

It was once my opinion that tapping bridge pins was less destructive and of
greater benefit than tapping strings. The math indicates to me that I was
mistaken.
Ron N