Falsies

Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:12:55 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> The same vast amount of experience indicates the same of seating strings.
> For a string at 20° angle side bearing on a bridge pin, and about 160#
> tension, the frictional drag between string and pin as over 14#. Tapping
> the pin is the equivalent of setting a 14# weight on the string at the very
> edge of the notch and hitting it with a hammer. The only time it does
> anything that direct string seating doesn't is when the pin is severely
> grooved.
>
> Ron N

Ron, I know this is one of your pet peeves so I doubt we are going to quite see eye
to eye here. I know I am able to seat the strings without damaging the bridge. I
also know that this often enough results in an improvment of sound when the strings
actually do click down against the bridge. I  believe  that the kind of falsness
that this addresses is quite a different thing then the kind of falseness loose
bridge pins cause.

Again... (as we've run this route before)  as for the rest of your points on this
matter, I suspect you are more right then wrong with most of it. However the fix
for the problem you focus on is quite a bit more involved then what a field visit
will allow for, not to mention more expensive. However temporary string seating is
in any given instance, it certainly can help improve the sound, and certainly can
be done carefully enough to not exasperate the problem. That this fact also may be
viewed as a symptom of a more serious root problem along the lines you sketch out
is another matter IMV.

Cheers

RicB

--