Cradling

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:58:36 -0500

At 10:53 AM -0600 3/30/03, Roger Jolly wrote:
>This sounds like a labour of love,  Or hate.  <G>

Both actually, and when self-inflicted the term is masochism.

>You don't have to move the post very much to get that 1/16" movement
>at the tip of the balancier,
>I rarely have to bend pins any more.

It sounds like a great idea, but I haven't been able to get it to work for me.

>One omission from the previous post, I put the CA glue on the end
>grain of the joint, at the bottom of the post yoke,

As I understand your nomenclature, that's where the post comes down
on top of the rep body. Do I gather that what happens is that, as you
twist the post, the joint opens up, and as you apply CA glue, it
seeps into whatever opening there is, becomes solid by solvent
evaporation, and when solid has re-oriented the post? Do you need to
soften the glue (vinegar) and "crack" the joint open, before twisting
and CA'ing?  I've got the rep body in a machinist vice (the jaws well
clear of the post yoke) and am twisting with a wrench as low down as
possible to make sure I'm not loosing torsion in the twisting of the
upper portion of the post.

Also the way you do it, is the rep still on the rail (the hammer
rails is out of the way for other work)? I'd bet not.

Thanks for the nifty idea. My page 5 of the manual didn't come out too clearly.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"There are fifty ways to screw up on this job. If you can think of
twenty of them, you're a genius......and you aint no genius"
     ...........Mickey Rourke to William Hurt, in "Body Heat", discussing arson.