Pocket PC

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:28:26 +0200

Nichols wrote:

>  At 12:11 AM 3/31/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>   I really just want the ETD to help with pitch-raises and
>> hard-to-hear tonality.
>> Dave Foster
>

> Then TuneLab is the program for you. I've been tuning aurally
> for...... well.... a very long time. Spinning displays (SAT and RCT)
> are slower than ears, so....
> I like TuneLab for the spectrum display and price. I use the program
> quite sparingly, but it is real handy in high noise situations, or for
> matching dueling pianos. It also works well in the backround while I
> tune aurally.
>
> Later,
> Guy

Hmm... dont know if I agree with this, tho I am a Tunelab 97 user
myself. First off, I havent used any Pocket PC program so I am not
speaking directly to a comparison of those. But I have after some years
of experience with ETD's found that I can tune easily as fast with them
as with out.

Its interesting really, as I used to think otherwise. Yet I have found
that the mastering of ETDs follows some of the same paths that mastering
aural tuning did. One does get faster with them... over a period of
years, not just months. And one does easilly fall into that same pitfall
of looking for too clean a resolution, this time with a visual twist.

Actually, for real bonified big time pitch raises, I get a faster job
done now with the  ETD then without.

Still, I remain generally careful to use ETD's in such a manner that my
tunings are very much ear dependant. Dont want to loose my ability to
navigate in the dark as it were. :)

RicB

--
Richard Brekne