"PennySaver" ads

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:48:44 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/03 9:20:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

> Has anyone had any success with running ads in the "pennysaver", or other
> similar mailers? I'm wondering if i put in a simple text ad to run for 8
> weeks, in 7 different zones, (that I would consider to have the most piano
> "density"), if it would be profitable. First, I know that these ads, to
> really be at all  successful, need to run regularly, but I'm assuming eight
>
> weeks should give me at least a fair idea of the ads effectivness. Based on
>
> the cost of the ad, if i book just 1 tuning per week from the ad, I will
> double my investment...but then again, because these mailers generally
> attrac "bargain hunters", I may have to lower my price, or risk losing the
> job as my normal fee is not considered to be in the "low end". I plan on
> placing a Yellow page ad for the next Verizon Super pages Book, but that
> will not be coming out until 10/03, so I thought I'd give this a try. Any
> thoughts or experiences with this type of mailer? thanks!
>

> Terry Peterson

Terry

A much better investment than the penney saver, or other equivalent papers is
a weekly, or biweekly, community newspaper that comes out in your area. (Not
the dayly Big Town Newspaper.

"Local" people like to read through these things for local news, and to find
garage sales, or look for jobs. It is surprising how many look through the
entire classifieds, just to see what new business and services are being
offered.

But I would run it continuously from now until you quit working. For me,
having a 3 line ad in the weekly "rag" in St. Louis, which were thrown on the
lawns of the suburbs around me, was almost as effective as my YP ad. At least
twice a week I got a call from someone who saw my ad in the classifieds of
the W-K Times, because people like support "local" businesses.

Wim