Worn Hammers

mary.tanguay mary.tanguay@snet.net
Thu, 1 May 2003 21:29:25 -0400

I am working with a customer who uses their piano for teaching and =
recitals.I have recommended a new pinblock, new strings,dampers,new =
shanks and flanges.

What effect do worn hammers (filed almost to the wood in the treble =
section) have on touch and tone in a Steinway grand piano?

When replacing a set of hammers would you also replace the shanks and =
flanges?

The tuning pins have been replaced with 6/0 pins.The torque is from 20 =
inch pounds and jumping in the bass to 60 inch pounds in the treble.the =
torque is uneven.=20

There students are advanced and require a good touch and tone.I need to =
present this to a committee please help with your coments and =
suggestions.

Thank you