(no subject)

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 01 May 2003 23:07:01 -0400

--=====================_53641875==.ALT
At 09:25 PM 5/1/2003, you wrote:

>I am working with a customer who uses their piano for teaching and=20
>recitals.I have recommended a new pinblock, new strings,dampers,new shanks=
=20
>and flanges.
>
>What effect do worn hammers (filed almost to the wood in the treble=20
>section) have on touch and tone in a Steinway grand piano?

Well, I'm tempted to say not a lot because the S7S hammer is supposed to be=
=20
jucied up until it's much like wood and the voiced (needled) down from=20
there. This was from John Patton (?) at Steinway. Nevertheless, no meat=20
left cannot possibly give good controllable sound.

>When replacing a set of hammers would you also replace the shanks and=
 flanges?

Most definitely unless, of course, you don't care what the regulation comes=
=20
out like.

>The tuning pins have been replaced with 6/0 pins.The torque is from 20=20
>inch pounds and jumping in the bass to 60 inch pounds in the treble.the=20
>torque is uneven.
>
>There students are advanced and require a good touch and tone.I need to=20
>present this to a committee please help with your coments and suggestions.

This part is very important. DO NOT submit a proposal if you can avoid it=20
and instead present your ideas to the committee in person. You can't=20
possibly depend on someone else to impart all that you want to say through=
=20
their lips. It NEVER works that way. Have something written out but only=20
provide it once you have a positive answer from them. If you give them a=20
proposal they use that info to shop around on you making you an unpaid=20
consultant. Find what their major complaints are. Let them talk about how=20
bad it bugs them a bit and then offer, verbally, solutions after (AFTER)=20
you have a sense for whether they are willing to put forth the money to do=
=20
something about it. DON'T be an unpaid consultant! You may become their=20
hero and their "go to" person when they need advice but they'll always find=
=20
someone to do the job cheaper.

my 2 cents

>Thank you