(no subject)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 2 May 2003 11:56:48 +0200

Hello Mary,

Unless I work for a customer I know well, I am getting paid (I try anyway !)
for consulting and making the proposal actually.The cost of these is to be
deducted in case of realization.
In a school environment it is useless to do proposals for repairs without
follow ups and regular maintenance. Seem to me that is the good moment to
explain what they will get , and that nothing is definitive. I include in
the proposal a few words that say that considering the existing budgets, I
only can guarantee that I will keep their instrument so they can play on it,
(and do the best I can about it) , but that the piano is evolving
permanently, so no repair is giving some sort of stability in the state of
the instrument. In less words, the repair allow for the maintenance to be
made regularly ...

You can also show that some parts are to be changed because of lack of
maintenance - it is always the case in my opinion for the rollers, so you
have to change the shanks and the cheaper repair is not possible (heads
only). it is also the case for the strings if the hammers are worn.

Generally the customer will not understand (or believe)  the whole point,
that is why it is useful to say it again and again.
I am on the process to send a letter monthly, remaining that the pianos have
to be checked, and that they are going bad. I send that to all music schools
and to their headquarters, and, most important, to the place where they get
the money to buy instruments (the town actually).

On the other hand I second Wim's advice, or is it time to find a partnership
? The number of errors you can possibly do on the first jobs on these
instruments is such that if you go on, the customer is certainly yet lost
and your reputation is in danger.(sorry for the way it is said, my English
is little).

Best Regards.

 and good luck

PS I'd go for new shanks of course unless the piano is fairly recent 5-10
years, and even then, but after that it is also a money consideration.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy