(no subject)

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Thu, 1 May 2003 23:42:07 -0700

Dear Mary:

            The felt on the hammers has mass which, if filed away, will
make the hammers lighter.  The touch weight is affected by this to a
greater extent at the front of the key.  It will feel lighter.  Since
the length of the hammer is shorter, it won't strike the strings in the
correct spot for optimum volume and tone.  Think of strumming a guitar
closer or farther away from the bridge, and what that does to the tone
of the guitar.  In a piano, there is a sweet spot on the string where
the hammer must meet if there is to be the best tone and volume.  It is
a distance approximately 1/7 the length of the string, measured from the
closer end (under the capo bar or agraffe).  In the high treble area,
there is a window of about 1/16"  in which the hammer must strike.  A
short hammer will miss the sweet spot.    Farther down the keyboard, the
window widens considerably, so it isn't as critical as the treble.  In
addition, the shorter filed hammers will not strike the string at a 90
degree angle, but rather at a glancing blow.  Power is lost when this
happens.

            I am not a rebuilder, but I've heard it said many times to
replace hammers, shanks and flanges at the same time. The flanges,
knuckles and action centers will undoubtedly be worn out, so replacing
them is always a good idea.  The new wood will also be more durable.

            Regarding the pinblock, it is also a good idea.  If you are
going to do all this work, you might as well do it properly.  Unless you
hit all the bases, you are going to have to go back and revisit them
sometime in the future anyway.  Why not do it all at once?  You will
spend at least as much time doing it right today, as you will by doing a
piecework job which will need redoing soon anyway.  Restring the piano,
repair or replace the bridge caps and bridge pins, rebuild the action
with new parts- everything will add up to a long lasting instrument
which you can enjoy for many years.  Especially a piano which will be
played by serious musicians.  It's what they deserve.

            My two cents.

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego