Light hammers vs. heavy

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 03:12:26 EDT

Keith Roberts writes:

> Bob Davis should speak about that. In his voicing class, he is comparing
> sounds and when he pulls the piano action out, one of the hammers is so
> much
> smaller it looks as if it should be an octave or two higher. They sounded
> fairly evenly matched to the class.
> Keith Roberts

   Keith was replying to David Love, who said:

 don't think anyone has tried to make the argument that light hammers can>
> >be made to sound the same as heavy hammers.  Proponents of the light
> hammer idea think they sound better.

Okay, I'll bite. My demonstration uses hammers of different sizes and makes,
voiced to sound alike. The purpose was to show that careful voicing could do
a lot to even out sound by trading off mass and resilience. The very small
hammer to which Keith refers, though, was brought back into voiceable range
by adding mass in the form of a few turns of solder, then needled to adjust
its resilience so that its tone, and tonal gradient, matched its neighbors.
Experienced voicers can create a lot of tonal overlap between light and heavy
hammers, but there is a point at which they can't be made to sound the same.
I ain't THAT good.

Thanks for remembering, Keith. I thought that was a pretty interesting
example.
Bob