Key Leads and Inertia

Mike Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Sat, 3 May 2003 08:58:04 -0500

David,

Here's 2 cents from a former engineer.  Engineering does depend on accurate
calculation, but depends equally on observation and classification,
otherwise known as putting things in perspective.

It would be unusual, in a complex system such as a piano action, for any one
parameter to be so overshadowed by the other parameters that it's effect
could be considered "eliminated".  The overall touch of a piano action is a
complex soup of many ingredients.  It doesn't take much pepper to change the
character of a soup.

True, if you run the numbers, you do find that the key lead inertia is less
than one-tenth the inertia of the hammer, shank, and wippen, as experienced
at the pianist's fingertip.  BUT - and here's where the putting it in
perspective part comes in - I would expect the key lead inertia to feel very
different to the pianist than the hammer/shank/wippen.  H/S/W inertia is
coupled to the finger through some very compliant elements:  whippy shank,
cushy knuckle, cushy wippen cushion, whereas the key lead is rigidly
coupled.  Remember Sarah's explanation of impedance matching?  H/S/W inertia
with compliant coupling should feel like kneading bread; it's the "depth" of
the keyboard.  Keyleads, on the other hand, should feel like impact.  Even
though the keylead inertia is quanititatively small in comparison, I expect
it is qualitatively significant due to it's direct coupling.  This would be
the challenge in Stephen's project to develop a dynamic model of the action:
to quantify how the compliance, or lack thereof, is experienced at the
pianist's fingertips.

The other possible way in which the numerically small keylead inertia could
significantly effect the pianist's experience is in trills or rapid staccato
playing where the key spends a lot of time not in contact with those other
large inertias.  Again, Stephen's dynamic model should be able to tell us a
lot about this situation.

Sorry, no hard answers, but at least some possibilities.

Mike Spalding RPT