piano competition/Mason&Hamlin vs Steinway

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 4 May 2003 19:54:17 EDT

Greetings,
In a post on the piano-L ( a player's list),  there has been some discussion
about varying widths of keyboards.  The majority of posters feel that the
Yamaha's and Kawais and Steinways have different size keyboards, and also,
different sized key widths.  Does anybody know the figures for any of the
various brands of pianos?
   I will measure several here, but am still recovering from shoulder surgery
and am not quite up to an energetic survey at the moment.
  One post was:
<< I have identified the inconsistencies in the widths of black keys between
various brands and am sure that the industry has now acquired a 'standard'  >>

What is the standard width of a piano keyboard?  I have two here at the shop,
a 1894 A and a 1919 O, they are both exactly 48  5/16" from A1 to C88.

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/