piano competition/Mason&Hamlin vs Steinway

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Mon, 05 May 2003 08:07:53 -0500

Following up on this key size thing; I just measured and a typical
Steinway white key is 148 mm from the lip to the fall board.  The
Mason & Hamlin CC I mentioned in an earlier post is just 142 mm from
the lip to the fallboard.  It's amazing that pianists can adapt to
these things as well as they do.  Some -- not all -- notice these
things but they seem to cope with them ok.

dave

On 5/4/2003 at 7:54 PM A440A@aol.com wrote:

>Greetings,
>In a post on the piano-L ( a player's list),  there has been some
>discussion
>about varying widths of keyboards.  The majority of posters feel
that the
>Yamaha's and Kawais and Steinways have different size keyboards, and
also,
>different sized key widths.  Does anybody know the figures for any
of the
>various brands of pianos?
>   I will measure several here, but am still recovering from
shoulder
>surgery
>and am not quite up to an energetic survey at the moment.
>  One post was:
><< I have identified the inconsistencies in the widths of black keys
>between
>various brands and am sure that the industry has now acquired a
'standard'

>What is the standard width of a piano keyboard?  I have two here at
the
>shop,
>a 1894 A and a 1919 O, they are both exactly 48  5/16" from A1 to
C88.