Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways: was Baldwin Accujust...

Tue, 6 May 2003 21:12:36 -0700

This discussion reminds me of something that I have wondered about with
reference to rear tuned duplexes and the effect on backscale length.  When
replacing a soundboard on a piano with aliquots, such as a Steinway, one
could, conceivably, reset the plate such that the rear aliquots could be
removed adding some backscale length to the treble and mid tenor.  Would
that added backscale length contribute anything to improving the tone,
i.e., is the backscale length on Steinways theoretically shorter than one
would design it under ideal circumstances.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net