Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways: was Baldwin Accujust...

Wed, 7 May 2003 12:09:20 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 06, 2003 9:12 PM
Subject: Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways: was Baldwin Accujust...

> This discussion reminds me of something that I have wondered about with
> reference to rear tuned duplexes and the effect on backscale length.
When
> replacing a soundboard on a piano with aliquots, such as a Steinway, one
> could, conceivably, reset the plate such that the rear aliquots could be
> removed adding some backscale length to the treble and mid tenor.  Would
> that added backscale length contribute anything to improving the tone,
> i.e., is the backscale length on Steinways theoretically shorter than one
> would design it under ideal circumstances.

In some versions it is very short indeed. Our usual approach is to simply
remove the back so-called 'aliquot bar' and use vertical hitches. If there
is a desire to retain the aliquot bar for aesthetic reasons it is also
possible to relocate it some further back. With a bit of grinding it can
usually be placed far enough back to bring the backscale up to an almost
reasonable length.

Relocating the plate is not a easy as it looks. It requires plugging and
drilling to relocate the nosebolts, grinding the bass end of the plate
flange for clearance, relocating the action for strikeline, etc.

Del