Making bridges

Thu, 8 May 2003 07:03:15 -0700

Yes, I was talking about the bridge root.  I'd love to see the pictures.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

laminations are vertical. I'm not much for the "circle of sound" theory,
but vertical laminating uses less material, easy to get everything nicely
quarter sawn, is so easy to do and results in a very strong one-piece
structure (no joints waiting to fail). Just seems to me to be easier and
better to laminate. I'm laminating mine with West System epoxy - so very
easy to do and you don't need any kind of fancy clamping jig and clamping
pressure is super-minimal. This method produces a very clean, even curve to
the bridge. My next bridge will have a few staggered laminations that will
make producing any size dogleg I want very easy with no extra bending in
that area.