Rear Duplex Bars on Steinways: was Baldwin Accujust...

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 23:15:18 EDT

David Love,

It seems i may have missed the correspondence initiating the discussion on
the rear duplexes, but I am glad that I found the email in time to drop into
the conversation because I believe that there is something missing from the
interplay. And that something is a bit of respect for CFT.

When the duplex scale was originally incorporated in the Steinway design in
1876 at the Philadephia Convention it was accredited to be one of the most
significant new features of scale design by Steinway. It should be noted that
since that time, S & S has remained a benchmark piano with a consistent and
reliable tone. dozens of manufacturers have utilized CFT's patent to develop
their own versions of this characteristic.

I have spent many years and many hours tuning and teaching duplex tuning
technology, and I consider it  beyond the bounds of responsible technical
rationale to attempt to redesign the plate of a Steinway Piano and its duplex
scale  instead of trying to tune the duplexes as Steinway intended. Anyone
who would go to such lengths has obviously got a severe case of
DUPLEXOPHOBIA. It is cureable, provided your priority is the tone of the
piano.

Dan Franklin, RPT