Horowitz and Mohr

Sat, 10 May 2003 23:36:19 +0200

John Musselwhite wrote:

> >Jimeness there John, I know a few car rebuilders that would very much take
> >issue with that. They will go on for hours and hours telling you about all
> >the non-stock modifications and not one of them would simply say the car is
> >what it says on the chasis. Rather.. if asked directly they would say
> >something like, "yeah the chasis is a VW, but the rest is mine! " And they
> >would say so with pride.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of a race car put on display after the
> driver had passed on... for example, if Dale Earnhart's car went on tour
> without him it may very well have new tires and a different engine, but it
> would still be "his" car.
>
>                  John

Hmmm... well of course I see your point. And sure for lots of folks thats just
fine. But back to the origional issue.  I am sure the same is true of the
Horowitz piano. Many folks couldnt care less about whether it sounded this way or
that, or played this way or that. They are just happy at the chance to put their
fingers on the same keys that he did, sit in front of the same keyboard as
he...etc.

Yet for those who were really interested in the man, and how he made music....
this something is lost me thinks. And personally, I think it would have been a
good thing had it been maintained.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.